German Scalloped Potatoes
OK. It’s not a dessert. Or a bread. Don’t faint.
This is a mutation of various recipes. It probably could be considered breakfast, if you wanted it then. But it’s a tasty dish for a night when you really are NOT in the mood for the usual meat-and-potatoes meal. Ummmm… except that it is made with meat and potatoes.
Hmmmm… Well, anyway.
Yes, it uses “real” eggs and “real” bacon. I suppose you could use egg substitute and turkey bacon. But I don’t.
- Cook: 4-6 slices bacon in a skillet (NOTE: I usually slice across a pound of bacon 4 or 5 times)
- Add: 1 small onion, chopped
- Brown together until bacon is crispy and the onion is tender.
- Drain fat.
- In a large microwave dish combine: 2 tsp flour, 1/3 cup cider vinegar, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tsp celery seeds, salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1 tsp bacon fat, the bacon and the onion. Stir.
- Microwave on high 2-3 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add to microwave dish: 4-5 potatoes, boiled, peeled and thinly sliced.
- Stir together: 4 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and add to microwave dish.
- Cook: on MEDIUM 10-12 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap. Stir every 3 minutes, scraping the outside of the dish to the middle.
- Cover: let stand 3 minutes and serve warm.
Great with a salad on the side.