Homemade BBQ (“Pulled”) Pork
You can make this “yours” by using the BBQ sauce that you believe is holy and perfect. I am not getting into that argument. 🙂
- 4 pounds (or more) boneless, lean pork roast
- 2 large onions (Vidalia preferred)
- garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 can of regular Coke
- Cut onions in half lengthwise, slide into 1/4 inch slides. Separate into rings. Put half of the onions on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Trim all possible fat from roast. Put in crockpot.
- Sprinkle roast with spices. Cover with remainder of onions.
- Pour Coke over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours, or overnight, until roast can be easily shredded with a form.
- Remove pork from crockpot. Set in large bowl to cool.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from crockpot to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, dice cooked onion. Discard remaining juice.
- While pork is cooling, wash crockpot thoroughly. Shred pork into small pieces and remove all possible fat. Return shredded pork and diced onion to the crockpot. Add barbeque sauce of your preference and stir. Reheat in Crockpot on LOW 5-6 hours, adding additional sauce as needed.
- Serve on warmed Kaiser rolls.
Deb’s Homemade BBQ Sauce:
Saute (in a little olive oil):
1 small onion diced and 4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon worchestershire sauce, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 Tablespoons molasses, 1 cup chili sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon hot sauce.
Cook sauce over low heat. Stir frequently. When sauce is thickened and bubbling slightly, remove from heat and let cool.