Soup: It’s what’s for dinner.
I cleaned out the fridge today. This means that there are a number of items that need to be eaten TODAY. So, dinner tonight will be soup, fresh bread and a fruit salad. Yes. YUM.
Here’s the recipe:
- Wash your hands with the Purell. (It was accidentally in the picture!)
- Chop up the stuff that needs chopping. Tonight’s soup includes onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, green beans, mushrooms and a small amount of fresh spinach.
- In a large stock pot, saute onion and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until tender.
- Add the rest of the veggies to the pot. Stir well.
- Add the chicken stock and canned chopped tomatoes. Stir again. If it seems too thick add more stock or water (or tomato juice.) Add any leftover cooked chicken if you have some. It doesn’t matter how you cooked or spiced it. In soup, it just adds to the flavor.
- Add spices to make it seem right to you.
- Simmer for a couple of hours.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Can also be made in the crockpot — except you saute the onion in a frying pan and then add it to the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot.