Nutella Donuts? YUM.
So.. Reedy Girl was surfing for desserts and found this recipe for Nutella donuts which sounded great, but we did not have a “donut pan.” To make a long story short, we were at the craft store for something completely unrelated and happened upon a pan for sale there. And thus, we were a test kitchen once again!
BAKED NUTELLA SWIRL DONUTS
(adapted from Wilton – source unknown) Yield: 12 donuts
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (regular table salt works fine)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature. (We used powdered buttermilk and followed the directions to reconstitute it.)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten and at room temperature
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons Nutella
In case you wondered what a “donut pan” looks like. It’s not something we would try to “MacGyver.”
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and (kosher) salt into a large bowl. (We used regular salt.)
- Add in the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Gently mix and fold everything together. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Put the batter into a piping bag fitted with a large round decorating tip. (We used a ziplock (TM) bag and cut off one corner.)
- Pipe batter into a lightly greased donut pan.
- Put 1/2 tablespoon of Nutella on top of each donut (i.e. the batter). Using a knife, swirl the Nutella around so that it looks “marbled.”
- Bake at 425 for about 9 minutes.
- Remove from pan. Inhale.