I haven’t made these in a while, but a request popped up for an easy breakfast after-the-baby arrives. Amounts and kind in the contents vary according to what I have on hand.
- 12 flour tortillas
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, seeded, cored and finely chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled, and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes (HINT: use a food processor, or buy frozen hashed browns!)
- optional: chopped mushrooms, chopped tomato, browned sausage, cooked and crumbled bacon, cooked and chopped chicken or turkey, shredded cheese, chopped ham
- Fry eggs until done in a small amount of butter. Remove from pan into a large bowl.
- Fry the onion and green pepper and add to bowl.
- Fry potatoes in butter until they are soft but not mushy and nicely browned.
- Add everything else to the bowl (meat or cheese options) and mix.
- Warm tortillas in microwave (about 20 seconds) until they are very flexible and warm.
- Put about 1/2 cup of egg mixture on each tortilla. Fold up ends and roll burro style.
- Put burritos on a lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving space in between.
- When frozen, remove from sheet, wrap well and place in a freezer bag.
TO SERVE: Microwave about 2 minutes on HIGH (100% power) on a microwave-safe dish. Check, turn over and microwave for 30 seconds more at a time, checking to see if they are hot in the middle. (Use a food thermometer!) DO NOT overcook or they will be dry and inedible, except to Fido.