Vegetable Drawer Soup
Soup just kind of “happens” for me. But this rendition seems to have turned out well. I made it for a monthly women’s fellowship at my home tonight.
- 1 quart vegetable stock (see notes)
- 1 quart V-8 juice, low sodium version
- 1 Tablespoon (or so) chopped fresh basil
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 3 small russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 8 oz. mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
Put everything in the crockpot. Stir to combine spices into the soup. Cook on “High” setting for first four hours, then turn to “Low” when potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Because some of my guests were vegetarians, I used an organic “better Than Bouillon” soup base. You could also use chicken or beef stock.
- You can substitute canned vegetables if you don’t have fresh available.
- Fingerling potatoes can be used without peeling. Just wash them, chop and add.