Spinach and Feta Turnovers
Words of wisdom from the family: “Melt-in-your-mouth. Savory.” This recipe is originally from Bite Delite, and I have to say we didn’t change much. Simple and delicious.
- 2 sheets puff pastry, quartered
- 2 bunches spinach, ends trimmed, washed, shredded
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 (cloves) garlic, chopped
- 3.5 oz. feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add salt and spinach to the oil, onion, and garlic mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has wilted (is darker in color and smaller in size).
- Remove from heat. Mix in the feta and set aside to cool. The feta may melt a bit- this is a good thing!
- Line baking trays with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Divide the filling among the pastry squares. Place about 1 tablespoon spinach mixture in the middle of each pastry square.
- Fold each square along the middle, forming a triangle. Arrange on baking sheet, leaving plenty of room between them.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden-brown and fragrant.
NOTES: This makes 8 (large) turnovers, which the 6 of us demolished. Definitely not a main course, but works great as a side. If you cut the puff pastry into smaller squares, it would also work as an appetizer.