Words of wisdom from the family: “Filling without being heavy. Great for summer nights- one can only eat so many salads.” Original recipe from Vegan Richa, but we had to make a few substitutions due to what was on hand, and a few additions just for fun.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz.) garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Optional- additional 4 chicken breasts; pan-seared; dry-rubbed with salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala
- In a deep skillet, heat oil, garlic, and ginger over medium heat
- Add red bell pepper and cook about five minutes, until softened.
- Stir in cumin, turmeric, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until fragrant.
- Add in the tomatoes and reduce heat to medium low, stirring occasionally until tomatoes are soft (10-15 minutes).
- Mash the tomatoes a bit, then then add the chickpeas and 1.5 cups water. Cover and cook at low-medium heat, until chickpeas are easily mashable.
Adjust salt, garam masala, chili powder, and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot topped with lemon wedges, cilantro, and rice.
NOTES: The original recipe also gives directions for making this in a pressure cooker, but since we don’t have one, I can’t speak to how that version turns out. Overall, a lovely dish for summer evenings.