Words of wisdom from the family: “Crunchy. Nicely spiced.” Slightly modified recipe originally from Simple Vegan Blog.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 4 leaves of cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 ounce soy/ bean sprouts (we used bean sprouts)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 8 sheets bánh tráng
- Dash of sesame oil
- Generous sprinkle of Chinese 5 spice
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and garlic in a wok until the oil is sizzling.
- Add onion, carrots, cabbage, sprouts, and soy sauce, and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Here I’d highly recommend visiting the original recipe for instructions on filling and rolling the spring rolls unless you’re experienced with such things.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of olive oil in the wok. Once it’s extremely hot, drop in the spring rolls a few at a time and cook until golden brown on all sides. Cook time will vary wildly according to what kind of pastry you are using. For us, it was about 10 minutes.
NOTES: nothing to add here, really. Simple, delicious, and definitely worth a try if you’ve never done spring rolls before.