Words of wisdom from the family: “Creamy. Savory. A bowl full of yum!” This is loosely based on a recipe from Pinch of Yum, but we made some considerable changes just for fun. We paired it with grilled cheese sandwiches and I must say it was a great idea.
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 oz. tomato paste (~10 tablespoons)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Cook the bacon according to package instructions, and pat with paper towel to remove grease. Chop or pull apart into small pieces.
- Puree all ingredients except cheese in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into medium pot on stove and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes-1 hour, stirring often.
- Garnish with a generous spoonful of Parmesan cheese. Best accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich.