Farmer’s Market Pasta
Fairytale Eggplants? Never saw those before!
These sweet little veggies were at the Farmer’s Market and we decided “Veggies and Pasta” would be a yummy dinner. We combined the Fairytale Eggplants with purple* and red peppers, mushrooms, and an heirloom tomato and the result was an easy, tasty, healthy dinner!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 large each red pepper and purple pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 pint fairytale eggplants, quartered lengthwise
- 1 pint white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced into large pieces
- Penzey’s Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Olive oil, about 2 Tbsp
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oil with the onion and garlic in a large pan until bubbly.
- Add the eggplant and peppers until the peppers are half-way cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients (mushrooms and tomato) and sauté until tender. Season to taste with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packaging directions, drain, toss with olive oil.
- Serve veggies tossed over pasta and garnish with Parmesan
*Interestingly, the “purple” peppers cooked into a deep green, and together with the eggplants, turned the mushrooms into a lovely reddish color.
NOTES: Would make a great vegetable medley even without pasta. Apart from the cheese, this is dairy-free and vegan. You could always substitute gluten-free pasta, and I’d imagine it’d turn out just fine (though my experiences with gluten-free pasta are somewhat limited, I confess).