First Fall Soup with Roasted Garlic
This soup is loosely based on this recipe. After weeks of 90+ degree weather, today was a cool and rainy day. (And, quite honestly I was cleaning out the fridge so it was an no-brainer to make soup!) I used my crockpot, but this could simmer on the stove if you prefer.
- 5 cups of liquid – mixture of chicken stock, leftover red pepper soup and homemade chicken broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, diced
- Stalks from a large bunch of broccoli, diced
- 4 mini sweet peppers, roasted, cooled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can of cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears cooked sweet corn, cut off the cob
- Spices of my choice (not measured), including ground cumin, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, bay leaves and green peppercorns, and a pinch or two of salt.
- 1 whole head of garlic
- Olive oil
- Hold in reserve: 4 cups fresh spinach OR one bag of mixed greens (kale, cabbage, arugula, etc.)
- Pour broth and soup into crockpot, stir.
- Add vegetables as you prepare them.
- Add spices.
- Stir all ingredients (minus the garlic and oil) thoroughly.
- Chop the tips off of the garlic. Remove any loose skin but do not peel. Leave the head whole.
- Drizzle garlic head with a little oil, and then tightly wrap in a piece of aluminum foil.
- Nestle the garlic packet in the middle of the crockpot.
- Cook on low.
- Watch Ohio State football game!!
- One hour before serving, add the bag of greens, chopped AND remove garlic packet and squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves. (They will pop out easily.) Chop cloves finely and return to crockpot.
- Stir and allow spinach to wilt and the soup to get back up to temperature.
- Remove bay leaves and peppercorns before serving (if you can find them.)
- Serve with herb bread.
This is one of those recipes that is insanely easy to adapt to what you have. I added the cannelloni beans for color and texture.